I'm thinking of working on this(adding backoff semantics to the load balancing processor)

The ticket FLUME-1488 however refers to the load balancing rpc client(or is it just poorly worded/unclear?). If it is in fact a separate ticket I'll file one for this

Anyway, I was  interested in hearing thoughts on approach. I'd have liked to do it within the framework of the LoadBalancingSinkProcessor by adding a new Selector, however as it is now, it the processor provides no feedback to the selectors about whether sinks are working or not, so this can't work.

This leaves two choices: write a new SinkProcessor or modify the SinkSelector interface to give it a couple of callbacks that the processor calls to inform the selector of trouble. This shouldn't really be a problem even if people have written their own selectors so long as they are extending AbstractSinkSelector which can stub the callbacks.

Thoughts?