Hi,

I agree, it does not appear to work that way today. It looks like there is already a JIRA for this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1350

If you have any ideas or patches, please update that JIRA!

Brock

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Yongcheng Li <Yongcheng.Li@sas.com> wrote:

Does anyone have comment on using time (such as day/hour) as part of the file name? When it crosses the boundary of the defined time period, Flume creates a new file. What is the expected way of handling the old file (it does not meet any of the roll over condition yet)? I would expect Flume to flush data out to disk, close that file and remove the .tmp suffix. Am I right? It does not behave in this manner right now.

Regards,

Yongcheng

From: Gumnaam Sur [mailto:gumnaam.sur@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:04 PM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Flume 1.2.0 HDFS Sink Output File Question

Is there a documented way of shutting down flume ?

I just do kill -s TERM <pid> , and I do see flume shutting down normally.

But not all HDFS sink files are closed at times, even with a proper shutdown.

e.g. I was testing a setup with 5 HDFS sinks, and only the last one defined in the conf file was

being renamed to remove '.tmp' the other four still had '.tmp' extension.