flume-user mailing list archives

From Michal Taborsky <michal.tabor...@nrholding.com>
Subject Re: Logs used as Flume Sources and real-time analytics
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:16:22 GMT
Hi Alex,

truth be told, I am quite satisfied with the file tailing and I'll try to
explain why I like it. The main reason is, at least for us, the web
application itself is business critical, the event collection is not.
Writing to a plain file is a thing that can rarely fail and if it fails, it
fails quickly and in a controlled fashion. But piping to a flume agent for
example? How sure can I be, that the write will work all the time or fail
immediately? That it will not wait for some timeout or the other? Or throw
some unexpected error and bring down the app.

The other aspect is simple development and debugging. Any developer can
read a plain file and check if the data he's writing is correct, but with
any sophisticated method you either need more complicated testing
environment or redirection switches that will write to files in development
and to flume in testing and production, which complicates stuff.

*
--
Michal Táborský*
*chief systems architect*