flume-user mailing list archives

From Michal Taborsky <michal.tabor...@nrholding.com>
Subject Re: Logs used as Flume Sources and real-time analytics
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:54:42 GMT
Hello Alain,

we are using Flume for probably the same purposes. We are writing JSON
encoded event data to flat file on every application server. Since each
application server writes only maybe tens of events per second, the
performance hit of writing to disk is negligible (and the events are
written to disk only after the content is generated and sent to the user,
so there is no latency for the end user). This file is tailed by Flume and
delivered thru collectors to HDFS. The collectors are forking the events to
RabbitMQ as well. We have a Node.js application, that picks up these events
and does some real-time analytics on them. The delay between event
origination and analytics is below 10 seconds, usually 1-3 seconds in total.

Hope this helps.

*
--
Michal Táborský*