flume-user mailing list archives

From "Kim, Jongkook " <jongkook....@citi.com>
Subject RE: Scale of a flume collector
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:52:27 GMT
Thanks Alex,

When you says "180mb/s", is it data handling capacity of one collector?
The size of data that I listed on the email is not compressed size and we are using DFO.
If the data is compressed, do we still need 1 collector for 10 agents?

Thanks in advance,

-----Original Message-----
From: alo alt [mailto:wget.null@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:06 AM
To: flume-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Scale of a flume collector

Hi,

that depends on the sink you want to use. Lets say you use E2E chains, the collectors are
on actual hardware and you use compression I would put 10 agents per collector (180mb/s *
60 (for a minute based file closing) = 10.8 GB / min). To get closer on RT I would suggest
a 10 sec roll, but more as 10 could be create a bottleneck at peak times
The collectors need fast hard disks.

best,
 Alex

--
Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:25 PM, Kim, Jongkook wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm in the middle of hardware provisioning for flume-hbase-hadoop solution.
> The plan is that flume agents collect and pass log data to collectors and the collectors
write data into hbase using sink.