flume-user mailing list archives

From alo alt <wget.n...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Centralizing web server access logs - syslog or tailing log file?
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:25:47 GMT
Hi,

yes, use syslog. tail and tailDir has some limitations and issues.

Did you took an eye to flumeNG? Flume is completely rewritten and match perfect your project.
https://cwiki.apache.org/FLUME/getting-started.html#GettingStarted-BuildingFromSource

best,
 Alex

--
Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

On Feb 25, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Ryan Chan wrote:

> I am new to Flume, just a quick question:
>
> Q, I have 10 web servers and need to centralize the access log for analyses purpose,
I have done some research and basically you have two way to send the log to the "collector",
that is using the syslog or tailing the access log files.

> In term of scalability and reliability, which method you would suggest? For me, seems
syslog is more reliable. Any comments?