flume-user mailing list archives

From Brian Levine <br...@brianlevine.net>
Subject Receiving ACKs in E2E mode
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:33:11 GMT
Hello,

I'm investigating the use of E2E mode in Flume.  My understanding is
that the E2E mode is implemented with a WAL. In a given flow, the event
will be sent through one or more WALs in the flow and when it
successfully reaches its destination (e.g. is written to HDFS), an ACK
will be propagated back up the chain. This will result in the agent at
the beginning of the flow receiving the ACK which tells it that the
event can be removed from its WAL.  Please correct me if I got anything
wrong.

Is there a way for the application that generated the event and called
append on that first agent to receive this ACK?  The use-case is that I
not only want stronger delivery guarantees, but I want to know when the
event has been successfully delivered/persisted.

Thanks for your help.

-brian