flume-user mailing list archives

From Praveen Ramachandra <praveen_ramachan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Flume-NG Channels
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:28:46 GMT
Hi,

We were trying to design a multi-tenanted system using flume-ng, where each logically independent
data set is modelled through a channel going through the system of collectors, aggregators
and delivery agents (to end destination). Each channel will carry data that logically belong
together. The requirement is that we should be able to bring up and tear down a channel with
ease.

When we completed the exercise, it turned out that we have to run a separate Source/Sink,
at a designated host/port combination for each channel. The issue with this is that, it is
an operational overhead that we have work with net-ops to punch holes in the firewall to let
tcp traffic flow on non-standard ports. I would imagine that it would be the case in many
organizations as well.

Two questions.

1. Did I get the modeling right with flume-ng
2. Is there a better way to do it at a platform level
            2.1 I know if I can write a bunch of custom sinks/sources and embed a notion
of channel to which each events belong to in the message, I can effectively mux and demux
the events at either ends.
            2.2 Which means the default support for channel is also not of much use