flume-user mailing list archives

From Eric Hauser <ewhau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FlumeBase state, future, etc.
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:58:36 GMT
Otis,

I don't have answers to your questions, but I can share some of our
experiences experimenting with FlumeBase:

1. Beyond just the issues in FlumeBase itself, there are a number of
issues with Flume 0.9.4 (FLUME-626, FLUME-706) that make it unusable
with FlumeBase.  (I'd argue that Flume 0.9.4 is unusable by itself due
to critical bugs, but that is another story)
2. We ran into a lot of issues trying to run Avro encoding events
through FlumeBase.  Aaron was responsive in helping our engineer
resolve the issues, but the error handling certainly did not give us a
lot of confidence that FlumeBase was ready for primetime yet
3. Personally, I'd rather see the FlumeBase's execution engine stand
on its own and not be coupled to Flume.  Since Kafka is a pub/sub
model, integration there is much easier if FlumeBase's execution
engine is embedded in any app.  You could probably do FlumeBase and
Scribe together right now since Flume has a Scribe facade.

Although GPL and thus maybe not appropriate depending on your use
case, Esper is much more mature and feature complete than FlumeBase.
In my limited use, I have had some good experiences with it.