flume-user mailing list archives

From "Hammerman, Joseph" <JosephHammer...@clearchannel.com>
Subject Re: Restricting flume activities to a subnet on a multihomed set of machines
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:15:21 GMT
As a point of clarity, this is in the context of utilizing the autoE2EChain's and autoCollectorSource
features.

From: Joseph Hammerman <josephhammerman@clearchannel.com<mailto:josephhammerman@clearchannel.com>>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:46:01 +0000
To: "flume-user@incubator.apache.org<mailto:flume-user@incubator.apache.org>" <flume-user@incubator.apache.org<mailto:flume-user@incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Restricting flume activities to a subnet on a multihomed set of machines

Hi Flume users list.

We are rolling out a new Flume architecture. We have separate interfaces for Flume data transfer
and for management – these are segregated by VLAN as well as subnet. Is there a way to dictate
to the agent and collector nodes that they should communicate on one particular subnet?

I found this ticket: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/FLUME-359). However, it is old and
it is unclear whether the dev team recognizes that this is a actually a problem.

>From my experience it seems that Flume performs a hostname lookup on a machine to determine
how the node will be identified. Maybe I can kludge the functionality I want with the /etc/hosts
file?

Thanks,
Joe