celix-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Lenferink <rlenfer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use master as development branch
Date Sun, 03 May 2020 13:17:23 GMT
Alexander,

Were you able to have a look at the proposed workflow I visualized on the wiki page [1][2]?
If so, what
did you think of it and does this change your -1 to a +1 ?

If not, what else is missing before we can move this forward?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/MwwRCQ
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r179ab76820ca6c156967c2c8af09e197aaa9c221b3d5c76a587c597c%40%3Cdev.celix.apache.org%3E

Roy

On 2020/04/23 04:34:00, Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not against this. But would like some more info on how we are going to work with
this.

> What is your proposal wrt feature, bugfix and release branches?
> One concern I have is that last one. With a dev/master split, a release branch can be
used to prepare a release to master, while dev is used to continue merging new features to.
> How should we do that now?
>
> Before doing the actual change, can you draft up a developer page for it?
>
> Because of this, for now a -1. Will gladly change to a +1 if things are clear!
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Alexander Broekhuis
> On 22 apr. 2020 19:22 +0200, Roy Lenferink <rlenferink@apache.org>, wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to propose the idea of using the 'master' branch as our development branch.
Why?
> > - ASF releases are promoted through the ASF mirroring system. Our website is built
on top of this
> > allowing the user to select a mirror for downloading the release. Cloning the git
repository is not
> > the first thing a user does. Even if users plan to use the git repository they can
use a specific tag.
> > - The ASF allows committers to use a so-called .asf.yaml file [1] for changing repository
settings.
> > However, changes to this file are only propagated when made on the master (or trunk)
branch.