celix-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Lenferink <rlenfer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Send GitHub notifications to new notifications@ list (instead of dev@)
Date Sun, 03 May 2020 11:00:09 GMT
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the answer, great input! Answers inline.

On 2020/04/29 21:17:01, Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not saying that I like all the mails to dev, but those mails do contain the
> only discussions we have nowadays (Issues at github and comments on Pull
> Requests).
> So I also do see some value in the current way. Is there a way to filter
> out those mails and keep them coming to dev@?

The only thing we can differ between is issues and pull requests. Indeed as a lot of
communication happens on both issues and pull requests it doesn't make sense to differ
between the two.

We could differ between the celix & celix-site repository [1][2], e.g. celix sending all
GitHub activity to
dev@ and celix-site sending notifications to notifications@. But since celix-site doesn't
have that
much pull request/issue activity IMO it doesn't really make sense to have a separate list
for that.

> For this reason for me a -0. We should not forget that the primary way of
> communication (and decision making and archiving) is the mailinglist [1].
>
> Arguably, 'notifications' is also a mailing list, but I'm not sure if we do
> right to the community with that...

My viewpoint was a committer one. In which the duplicate messages can be time-consuming
sometimes. But I definitely agree that I won't help the community if we move the activity
to a
separate mailing list. We can leave stuff as it is right now and can always re-consider when
the
community and mailing list activity increases.

Maybe I should just spend some time to setup my mail filters :)

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/schemes.cgi?celix
[2] https://gitbox.apache.org/schemes.cgi?celix-site