celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting started with Celix instructions.
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 18:07:47 GMT
Hi Isaac,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Isaac Rose <isaacdrose@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, accidentally sent an incomplete message.
> Hi everyone, I have just started to use Celix and have been trying to get
> going using the instructions at this link.
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/celix/site/trunk/content/documentation/getting_started.md

Note that these instruction are still work in progress. I still need
to do grammer/spelllng cleanup and - more importantly - check if
everything is really works as described. That being said, good to see
somebody already using it :)

> 1. Do I need to install libxml2-dev .deb package as well?

Not for the core framework and the basic bundles (shell, shell_tui,
etc). libxml2 is needed for the remote services.

> 2. Is libslp-dev .deb package only needed if I enable RSA SLP?

Correct

> 3. What is the minimum set of Celix bundles that need to be built?

The shell en shell_tui. Both are handy to have when your start
developing your own bundles and the celix cmake modules uses the shell
bundle to find the CELIX_BUNDLES_DIR.

>     a. What are each of the BUILD_  bundles in CCMAKE and what are they
> used for? This might already be documented somewhere. Maybe just a
> reference/link to that page would work.

The BUILD_ options can be used to enable/disable additional bundles to
be build/installed. These are mentioned in the specific sub project
pages [1]. Seeing this question, I think it is also wise to mentioned
them in the getting started guide.

> 4. It wasn't clear in the instructions, but it seems that I need to
> checkout celix and create a build and a install folder.
>     a. Perhaps a better visualization of the folder tree with an
> explanation of what each directory is for.
>
> |--celix_src (Checkout of celix trunk)
> |--celix_build(build of celix - run cmake and make from here)
> |--install (the location of the celix runtime and the target directory
> where the ./celix_build/make install-all)
> |--my_celix_src (location of my celix bundles
> '--my_celix_build (the location where cmake and make are run for my bundles.

Good point, although the install does not have to be in a "workspace" directory.

> That is all the suggestions I have for now. I am trying to work my way
> through creating a bundle and may have some more suggestions after that.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Thanks,
> Isaac
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Isaac Rose <isaacdrose@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, I have just started to use Celix and have been trying to get
>> going using the instructions at this link.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/celix/site/trunk/content/documentation/getting_started.md
>>
>> 1. Do I need to install libxml2-dev .deb package as well?
>> 2. Is libslp-dev .deb package only needed if I enable RSA SLP?
>> 3. What is the minimum set of Celix bundles that need to be built?

[1] http://celix.apache.org/subprojects.html

Greetings,
Pepijn