celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: coding guidelines
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2014 19:18:44 GMT

> Hi everyone,
>
> Some weeks ago, Jan mentioned that we are missing coding guidelines and I
> think he has a point there. As I first approach to address this, I think it
> would be a good idea to agree on a certain code style guide.

I agree. Now there are more people involved I think it is needed as well.

> As this is mostly a subjective matter and therefore difficult to decide, I
> would propose that we might take a look what is out there,  choose a coding
> style which is close to our already existing code and check whether we
> can/should adjust this to our needs.

While looking out there is good, I have been following a code style
already. So perhaps we can use that as a starting point?

> For example, the Apache httpd code styleguide
> https://httpd.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html could be used by us as well?
> What do you think?

I do follow the Eclipse K&R style with one change, instead of tabs I use
spaces. I do know most C/C++ developers prefer the opening brace on a new
line, I even think officially K&R has this. But the Eclipse version does
place it on the same line, which is what I prefer.

Anyway, I'm open for other ideas, so let's see what others have to say.
Whatever we choose, let's make sure when we decide on something, that we
update all code and examples.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis