celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First impressions
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 07:41:16 GMT
Hi Jan Willem,

Thanks for the feedback, it is really nice to hear that your amazed at
the status of Apache Celix.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Jan Willem Janssen
<janwillem.janssen@luminis.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The past two weeks I've had the pleasure to work on improving the
> remote service admin implementation in Celix (as you've probably
> noticed on the issue mailing list ;)) and I wanted to give some
> positive and constructive feedback on this journey.
>
> First of all, for a Java developer with a C background it is *really*
> easy to get started working on the Celix code base: most of the common
> Java constructs are properly translated to C (apart from the manual
> garbage collection :)). The CMake build structure was new for me, but
> easy to pick up and adapt to my needs, which is a big evolution when
> you are used to writing (unmaintainable) Makefiles ;)
>
> One thing I miss(ed) was code guidelines: given the current code base
> I could get a good idea on what is considered the standard coding
> practices for Celix, but you might want to write it down somewhere.
> Including formatting guidelines is probably a good idea as well.
> Another thing I had difficulties with was setting up my developer
> workspace: an example on how to develop on Celix with XCode or Eclipse
> might have helped.

About the developer workspace, that is a good point and thanks your
for bringing that to our attention. A good documentation how to
develop Apache Celix in your favourite IDE will probably lower the
barrier to get starting with Apache Celix.
I created two issues [1][2] to document how to develop Apache Celix
with Eclipse and XCode.

I will try to pick developing Apache Celix with Eclipse next week, if
so are you willing to test and comment if the documented instruction
and clear?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CELIX-144
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CELIX-145

> In conclusion: I'm amazed about the status of this project and the
> functionality it already supports. Well done! I certainly will keep
> following this project and perhaps contribute a couple of patches in
> the future...

Greetings,
Pepijn