celix-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject First impressions
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:34:20 GMT

Hi,

The past two weeks I've had the pleasure to work on improving the
remote service admin implementation in Celix (as you've probably
noticed on the issue mailing list ;)) and I wanted to give some
positive and constructive feedback on this journey.

First of all, for a Java developer with a C background it is *really*
easy to get started working on the Celix code base: most of the common
Java constructs are properly translated to C (apart from the manual
garbage collection :)). The CMake build structure was new for me, but
easy to pick up and adapt to my needs, which is a big evolution when
you are used to writing (unmaintainable) Makefiles ;)

One thing I miss(ed) was code guidelines: given the current code base
I could get a good idea on what is considered the standard coding
practices for Celix, but you might want to write it down somewhere.
Including formatting guidelines is probably a good idea as well.
Another thing I had difficulties with was setting up my developer
workspace: an example on how to develop on Celix with XCode or Eclipse
might have helped.

In conclusion: I'm amazed about the status of this project and the
functionality it already supports. Well done! I certainly will keep
following this project and perhaps contribute a couple of patches in
the future...

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around INAETICS and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00