celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple library support and code sharing
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:05:42 GMT
Hi

> On 06/03/14 22:23, Mike van Dongen wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> This might also be a solution to a problem I stumbled upon when using
>> Celix with Apache ACE.
>> The problem is that Celix bundles lack compatibility between different
>> platforms and architectures.For example, bundles compiled on Linux x86 can
>> (for obvious reasons) not be used on Linux x86-64, or on Mac OS/Windows for
>> that matter.
>> I don't know if others consider this to be a problem/useful feature,
>> but IMHO it's something to discuss as it would mean supporting multiple
>> libraries in a bundle.

While this is not yet on the radar for Celix, it is definitely something
that is part of Native-OSGi. At this moment the Native OSGi refers to
Executions Environments as a possible solution, in that case a bundle would
be for a specific platform, and the execution environment would be a
requirement for the platform.

In our opinion this is a better match, the bundles are kept small
(interesting for embedding) and platform specific (easier to add a
different platform for a component as new bundle later), the environment
declares what platform. (where platform can be a combination of information
which still has to be properly defined, eg architecture, libc, etc).

> Either that or adding the corresponding Require-Capability header
>
> Also worth a mention, there might be other Req-Cap's needed: for example
> one for the c library version. A library compiled on Fedora 20 will not
> work on Debian Wheezy because of the c library version difference.
>
> Something to consider.. :-)

Req-Cap seems interesting as well, although I don't think it should be used
for environment information. IMHO Req-Cap specify additional
dependencies/relations between bundles, not from bundles to the
environment. Having said that, I might be wrong, and perhaps with a
different view Req-Cap can as well be usable for the environment, so feel
free to elaborate and shoot at this :).

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis