celix-dev mailing list archives

From Ferry Huberts <maili...@hupie.com>
Subject Re: Multiple library support and code sharing
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:23:47 GMT

On 10/03/14 11:05, Alexander Broekhuis wrote:
> Hi

>> On 06/03/14 22:23, Mike van Dongen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> This might also be a solution to a problem I stumbled upon when using
>>> Celix with Apache ACE.
>>> The problem is that Celix bundles lack compatibility between different
>>> platforms and architectures.For example, bundles compiled on Linux x86 can
>>> (for obvious reasons) not be used on Linux x86-64, or on Mac OS/Windows for
>>> that matter.
>>> I don't know if others consider this to be a problem/useful feature,
>>> but IMHO it's something to discuss as it would mean supporting multiple
>>> libraries in a bundle.
>>>

> While this is not yet on the radar for Celix, it is definitely something
> that is part of Native-OSGi. At this moment the Native OSGi refers to
> Executions Environments as a possible solution, in that case a bundle would
> be for a specific platform, and the execution environment would be a
> requirement for the platform.
>
> In our opinion this is a better match, the bundles are kept small
> (interesting for embedding) and platform specific (easier to add a
> different platform for a component as new bundle later), the environment
> declares what platform. (where platform can be a combination of information
> which still has to be properly defined, eg architecture, libc, etc).
>

>> Either that or adding the corresponding Require-Capability header
>>
>> Also worth a mention, there might be other Req-Cap's needed: for example
>> one for the c library version. A library compiled on Fedora 20 will not
>> work on Debian Wheezy because of the c library version difference.
>>
>> Something to consider.. :-)
>

> Req-Cap seems interesting as well, although I don't think it should be used
> for environment information. IMHO Req-Cap specify additional
> dependencies/relations between bundles, not from bundles to the
> environment. Having said that, I might be wrong, and perhaps with a
> different view Req-Cap can as well be usable for the environment, so feel
> free to elaborate and shoot at this :).

Actually, Req-Cap is universal and a bundle DOES have (at least 1,
possibly more) a requirement to its environment. In bnd we actually
generate these by default: a bundle compiled for Java 1.7 will get a
Requirement for an execution environment that supports 1.7....

This specific example prevents errors like 'compile on 1.7, deploy on
1.6'. Doing that will make the resolver complain ;-)

So in the Celix case, this example translates into a Req on libc version
<your libc version here>. :-)

--
Ferry Huberts