celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: event admin headers
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 18:35:39 GMT
Hi Sascha,

Very interesting indeed, thanks for mailing this.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Sascha Zelzer
<s.zelzer@dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought this might be of interest to you guys:
>
> When I implemented the event admin spec in C++ for the CTK Plugin Framework,
> I also literally took the Felix Java implementation and translated it to C++
> (including the fancy stuff like sending asynchronous events in parallel and
> blacklisting handlers given a certain timeout). After the implementation, I
> did a performance test of the event admin (from Felix, Equinox,
> Knopflerfish, and CTK) and found out that Felix performed the worst. This
> might be due to the more complex implementation (related to blacklisting
> etc.) but I didn't review the other Java implementations enough.
>
> I attached screenshots of the diagrams showing some numbers (The
> Knopflerfish event admin was by far the best performing) . The used versions
> are:

I think you forgot the attachment, could you (re)send it?

> Knopflerfish 3.4.0 with the packaged Event Admin bundle (version 3.0.7)
>
> Eclipse Equinox as provided in Eclipse 3.7 together with the Eclipse Event
> Admin bundle (version 1.2.100)
>
> Felix Framework (version 4.0.3) with the Felix Event Admin bundle (version
> 1.3.2).

Personally I would like to see a good performance for the event admin
for Celix, especially because of it's potential target environment
(real-time embedded). So taking that in account and trusting that
Sascha did a good benchmark ;), I think it would be wise for Erik to
first take a look at the knoperfish implementation.

Greetings,
Pepijn