celix-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Zelzer <s.zel...@dkfz-heidelberg.de>
Subject Re: event admin headers
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:25:29 GMT
Hi,

On 08/12/2013 08:35 PM, Pepijn Noltes wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> Very interesting indeed, thanks for mailing this.
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Sascha Zelzer
> <s.zelzer@dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I thought this might be of interest to you guys:
>>
>> When I implemented the event admin spec in C++ for the CTK Plugin Framework,
>> I also literally took the Felix Java implementation and translated it to C++
>> (including the fancy stuff like sending asynchronous events in parallel and
>> blacklisting handlers given a certain timeout). After the implementation, I
>> did a performance test of the event admin (from Felix, Equinox,
>> Knopflerfish, and CTK) and found out that Felix performed the worst. This
>> might be due to the more complex implementation (related to blacklisting
>> etc.) but I didn't review the other Java implementations enough.
>>
>> I attached screenshots of the diagrams showing some numbers (The
>> Knopflerfish event admin was by far the best performing) . The used versions
>> are:
> I think you forgot the attachment, could you (re)send it?
I looked at my "Sent" folder and the attachments are there... maybe the
mailing list doesn't allow png attachments? I am trying to attach them
again, but you can also look at them here:

http://blog.cppmicroservices.org/images/event_admin_async_perf.png
http://blog.cppmicroservices.org/images/event_admin_sync_perf.png

>> Knopflerfish 3.4.0 with the packaged Event Admin bundle (version 3.0.7)
>>
>> Eclipse Equinox as provided in Eclipse 3.7 together with the Eclipse Event
>> Admin bundle (version 1.2.100)
>>
>> Felix Framework (version 4.0.3) with the Felix Event Admin bundle (version
>> 1.3.2).
>>
> Personally I would like to see a good performance for the event admin
> for Celix, especially because of it's potential target environment
> (real-time embedded). So taking that in account and trusting that
> Sascha did a good benchmark ;), I think it would be wise for Erik to
> first take a look at the knoperfish implementation.

I guess I could dig up my OSGi test bundle if someone is interested in
trying to reproduce the results.

Best,

Sascha