celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google summer of code
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:26:10 GMT
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekhuis@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/3/26 Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnoltes@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Currently I have a student working on remote services for Apache Celix
> and
> > he expressed an interest in doing some additional work on Apache Celix
> for
> > Google Summer of Code [1]. I known this is late - deadline is friday 29
> > march -, but I do think i would be good a idea (gsoc experience,
> community
> > growth and tech. progress) to add to gsoc projects for Apache Celix. How
> > this can be done is described in [2].
> >

> I agree this is a good idea. Lets at least try it..
>

> > One of the projects I like to submit is "Adding support for digital
> signed
> > zips - OSGi 4.3 core spec paragraph 2.3".
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> I am not so sure on this one. Is there any specific reason and/or need for
> this support? I don't have a feeling this is used a lot in the OSGi world.
> But I might be mistaken...

Well I know we (Thales) will eventually need this for security reasons and
I was thinking that this is small enough to be realistic to realize in the
time frame (mid June till mid/end September), maybe even too small ?

> I personally see much more need for a EventAdmin and ConfigurationAdmin
> implementation. Another interesting part might be Remote Services, and then
> in combination with Java OSGi Remote Services. Ie, protocol implementation
> and discovery.

Well, the EventAdmin would be very welcome, so I agree on that one.

At the moment I am supervising two students, one is working on remote
services and the other one on the ConfigurationAdmin. So I don't think we
need a gsoc project for those subjects.

I am now realizing that it a good idea to keep this mailing list up to date
with the development the students work.  I will ask the students to
introduce them self to this mailing list and once in a while post an update
of their progress.