celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Remove Eclipse (project) files from repository
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:21:11 GMT
Hi all,

As mentioned before, the current Eclipse project files are rather
installation specific. They assume information about include paths etc.
It is impossible to supply a project file which can be used by other
installations/os'es.
So I intend to remove the Eclipse specific files from the repository.
Setting up your own Eclipse project is fairly straight forward, and the
website can contain some info on this.

A possible simple method to create an Eclipse project is CMake since
it supports Eclipse project file generation [1]. But there are some quirks:
* It requires the build and source project to be located next to each
other. Not as a child (which is now the case). This has no impact on the
project but...
* CMake generates a project for the build directory, with a link to the
sources.
* This breaks Team Support in Eclipse, so in the build project, no
repository information is available.
* To solve this, a second project is created in the source directory. This
project doesn't add the Git Team Provider to it (I use git-svn), I am not
sure about SVN.
* Since there are now 2 Source location (1 project, 1 link in the build
project), all files are shown twice when using "Open Resource".

What does work is the path setup, all include paths are correct and working
for the specific system on which the Eclipse project files are generated.

Does anyone have an objection to removing the Eclipse files from the repo?
Imo they do more harm than any good, especially regarding a release we want
to make.
Also, should we promote the CMake Eclipse project generation? Or document a
manual method for creating the projects?

[1]: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis