celix-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn Noltes <pepijnnol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Celix 0.0.1 release and Native-OSGI
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:56:54 GMT
Hi

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<a.broekhuis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We would like to work towards a first release for Celix, and would like to
> know what everyone thinks that has to be in there.
>
> Please note, this is a 0.0.1 release, so take this into account when
> considering items to be in there.
>
> Some items I think that have to be fixed:
> * API code style
>  Currently the code doesn't follow the API style all over the place.
> Personally I think this has to be fixed for the framework at least.
> * Remote Import/ExportService header and disable the resolver
>  Currently the resolver isn't needed at all, but is still "semi"-used.
> This can be disabled (for now at least).
> * Make build more modular
>  As discussed on [1].
> * Small updates to CMake files
>  Currently several libraries are used directly, ie not via a
> Find{LibName}. For these libraries a Find{LibName} module has to be written.
>  Libraries that I know of; OpenSLP and Jansson
>
> One last thing; we have started working on the NativeOSGi project, and one
> of the goals is, is to let Celix use this API and be a reference
> implementation. While I think this will be a great step forward for Celix,
> I also think the work needed to get this done is quite a lot. As such I
> would like to make a 0.0.1 release without following the NativeOSGi work.
>
> A next release definitely will follow it, but having a first release is
> really needed after  1.5 years.
>
> What do you all think and what is missing for a 0.0.1 release?

I agree on all points and can't think of anything more we really need
for the first release. IMO the main focus should be that people can
build and therefore tryout Celix with at least a possible external
dependencies, but - correct if I am wrong -  this will be adressed by
making the build more module. So I have nothing to add to that list.

Greetings,
Pepijn