celix-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Broekhuis <a.broekh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Native-OSGi] OSGi API: Allocated memory ownership
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 07:52:33 GMT
Hi,

> > I hope this still makes sense...
>
> It does :), but IMO supplying handles - even on framework level - is
> not a good idea. It will add too much complexity for something where
> most C programmers just expect to use of malloc and free.
> Personally I am in favor for using memory pools, but for a generic API
> I think we should keep close to "pure" C and in this case use malloc
> and let the users call free.

For now I will assume this, though I am still in favour of having something
which we can use in Celix in combination with pool.
In this case, the best solution would be an option to add pointers to an
existing pool...

Perhaps a (third) adoption layer which takes a copy into the pool and frees
the allocated memory.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis