archiva-users mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does Archiva help control the artifacts that developers use?
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:04:24 GMT
> On 6/9/07, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that's a planned feature.
>
> Can you explain the planned feature a bit more?
>
> There's occasionally talk of making sure developers use only approved
> artifacts in their builds... but that's always accompanied by a
> "sandbox" where unapproved artifacts can go.  Once an artifact is in
> the developers local repository (after building some experimental
> project,) I don't see a way to restrict it from being used in another
> build.

Yes, to make it functional right now you'd have to rely on the build
server picking up those problems before release, or you don't let
anyone download from the sandbox (only use things once they are
approved).

That's another use case for segrregating remote repositories in the
local repository. Something we need to consider for the 2.1+
architectural goals of Maven.

> > It's currently possible only in
> > terms that any intermediatary can be used to control the content used.
>
> Do you mean an intermediary between Archiva and the developers?  I don't get it.

No, any intermediary between Maven and the central repository.

- Brett