ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gintautas Grigelionis <g.grigelio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java modules as Ant resources
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2018 14:36:22 GMT

> >> What exactly - beyond using a module as a zipfileset - would you want
> >> to do?
>
> > What about dependency graphs and service discovery? :-) [1]
>
> I'm afraid I'm too slow today. What exactly do you mean when you say you
> want to support Java modules as Ant resources?
>
> An Ant Resource (the class in org.apache.tools.ant.types) is something
> we can read from like a file or an URI and sometimes write to. I don't
> think this is what you have in mind as we can already do that to a Java
> module (which is a jar) and it is not related to dependency graphs or
> service discovery at all.

Sorry for not presenting the idea clearly because of time skip: if services
would become
a new mechanism for adding tasks, modules would be of help by providing an
API to discover them.
Since modules are a jar with a twist, it seems that they could be
abstracted as resources
if one would like to expose what's happening under the hood/bonnet.
The question was more about whether that exposure would be useful
(so that there could be ModuleSets, etc).

Gintas