ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [1/2] ant git commit: Deprecate CollectionUtils and Enumerations; reduce explicit use of Enumeration
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 19:02:01 GMT
On 2018-05-20, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:

> This time, I tried to start a discussion first, and I got no response.
> There were attempts to modernize the codebase about a year ago. AFAICS
> there was no discussion then.

True. I for one didn't expect you to try weeding out all deprecated APIs
and TBH didn't understand what you've been aking for.

> I hear that the consensus is "new stuff is for new code, or at least
> whenever one happens to change old code fixing the bugs".

Yes, please, this would be my preference.

What we have seen now are:

* changes that don't get proper review because they are too big

* mistakes (that everybody makes, I'm not complaining about them) slip
  through because of the point above

* willing contributors get frustrated and say they'll stop reviewing
  anthing or even drop out of the project

* merging from the 1.9 branch to master gets more difficult

For me these drawbacks outweigh all benefits of consistency.

Stefan