ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Ivy - No more support for commons-httpclient 2.x in runtime classpath?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2017 06:11:09 GMT

On 24/07/17 11:23 AM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:
> While it's fine to have such a dynamic behaviour it's hard to maintain.
> On this special location - is it really required or could we use a fixed version
> (like current HttpComponents Client)
>    https://hc.apache.org/:
>    "HttpComponents Client is a successor of and replacement for Commons HttpClient 3.x.
>    Users of Commons HttpClient are strongly encouraged to upgrade."
I had been involved in a different project where we moved from Commons
HttpClient 3.x to HttpComponents Client. The APIs, package names and
some of the constructs have all changed in that new version. So moving
to that version involves almost completely rewriting the integration
layer. Having said that, it's a good version to move to (given the
enhancements it brings in). I wasn't planning to move to that newer
library in this release, but now that I am in that part of the code, I
decided to take a much closer look of how easy/difficult (from a
development point of view) this task is going to be. From a development
point of view, it doesn't look like it's a very big task to move to this
newer version given that most of our (internal) code interaction happens
via a in-house wrapper interface over the HTTP client library. I have
some spare hours later today, I'll see if I can come up with a patch
that's functionally equivalent to what we have currently in Ivy with
this newer library.

In short, dropping commons-httpclient 3.x and moving to the more latest
HttpComponents Client sounds fine to me.

-Jaikiran