ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy - PR-57 need inputs
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:55:07 GMT
On 2017-07-28, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> Ivy has a DependencyResolver interface which is the central piece of
> contract/interface for extending Ivy (any external usage for that
> matter).

I'm not at all familiar with Ivy and the eco system that might exist
around it. How likely is it that anybody has implemented this interface
in a an extension? And how likely does such an extension not subclass
AbstractResolver?

Adding methods to an interface usually means a backwards incompatible
change that requires a new major version when using semantic versioning
(not sure whether Ivy uses semver, Ant itself doesn't).

> Instead, what I think we could do is add that method to the
> implementing class(es) internally (like the AbstractResolver - the PR
> does that already). Of course at some places within our code, if we
> want to use the newer generics based method, we will probably end up
> doing a type check on the resolver instance to see if it's a
> AbstractResolver which has that new method, but I think that should be
> fine for now.

Alternatively add a new interface with that method that extends
DependencyResolver and is implemented by AbstractResolver and check for
the new interface rather than AbstractResolver?

Stefan