ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy - Move to symlink creation standard Java API?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2017 16:19:01 GMT

> Le 26 juil. 2017 à 15:25, Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I was looking into a JIRA related to symlinking in Ivy and realized that (for reasons
noted in the docs and the implementation) ourimplementation of symlinking relies on launching
a process from within the JVM to invoke a shell command to create the symlinks. "retrieve"
task is the only one that deals with symlink creation, from what I can see. Furthermore, knowing
that this operation is expensive, we even had to introduce an additional optionfor that task
to allow "mass symlinking"[1] so that we launch a single process to create N symlinks instead
of N processes.

> In short, the current implementation of symlinking in Ivy is expensive for reasons that
have been known. Now that we have moved to Java 7, which has a standard APIfor symlink creation[2],
I think we should just change our internal implementation to use this new standard API.Of
course, we continue to fail to create symlinks on systems that don't support it, just like
we do now, except that we let the Java API implementation handle those details.

> Furthermore, once we move to thisstandard API, I don't think we need the "symlinkmass"
option onthe retrieve task anymore since the whole purpose of it was to avoid launching N
processes. So I think we can deprecate that option in the upcoming release.

> Any thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

Nicolas