ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy - we have now moved to asciidoc for docs
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 13:16:40 GMT

On 29-Jun-2017, at 3:58 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:

>> Le 29 juin 2017 à 07:59, Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit
:

>> A quick update on this one - I finished off the “settings” sections last week.
There is only one pending item that I’m trying to address in that section. The “Settings”
page[1] has a “Settings File Structure” section which tries to represent the Ivy settings
XML file structure as a tree. We have a similar one, one place else too (in Ivy file page).
We use a source code block to represent it. However, Asciidoc source code blocks are rendered
literally, so it won’t show up the links (as you’ll see in that page[1] currently). For
the Ivy page, I used “lists” to render the structure and that was “good enough"[2].
However, I can’t use the same here since Asciidoc (backed by asciidoctor generator) allows
a max list depth of 5 which means that any nested elements that exceed that depth won’t
be rendered correctly as a tree. The settings file structure goes beyond that depth limit
so it doesn’t work out well here.

>> Ultimately, we either have to remove that section (there’s already a “Child elements”
section which _almost_ conveys the same thing) or come up with a custom asciidoc “tree”
kind of block element to render this. Any thoughts?

> If I count correctly, there are 6 levels. So could we just remove the root element from
the tree so we save one level ? The root would be just printed as some text. Could it then
display correctly ?

That suggestion actually worked well. I went ahead and did that change and regenerated the
latest “master” site. It looks good http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/master/settings.html.

-Jaikiran