ant-dev mailing list archives

From dalibor topic <dalibor.to...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Early Access builds of JDK 8u112 b03, JDK 9 b128 are available on java.net
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:29:09 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On 25.07.2016 17:08, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> For <rmic> Ant was invoking sun.rmi.rmic.Main internally and this class
> is no longer exported (and inside a module Ant wouldn't import
> anyway). I'm a little bit worried that com.sun.tools.javac.Main used in
> <javac> and com.sun.tools.javah.oldjavah.Main used in <javah> may
> "disappear" in similar ways (or already have).

Please see
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jigsaw-dev/2016-July/008820.html
for the former and https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8152360 for
the deprecation of the separate javah tool.

> [aside: removing native2ascii from the JDK as people could use ther
> build tools which in turn use the JDK tool still strikes me as a curious
> move]

This is tracked at https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8074431 and
was discussed on core-libs-dev at
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2015-March/032634.html
.

As far as I know, the native2ascii implementations in NetBeans or
IntelliJ do not depend on the JDK tool.

> * rmic -Xnew doesn't work and fails with a strange error message. I know
>   I've reported this before:
>
>   rmic -vcompat -Xnew SomeClass
>
>   results in
>
>   ,----
>   | rmic: error - In doclet class sun.rmi.rmic.newrmic.Main,  method
>   | optionLength not accessible
>   | 1 error
>   `----
>
>   I think I've been told -Xnew had been removed before (and if so we
>   need to adapt Ant), but there should be a better error message.

Yes, this is https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8146299 .
"Furthermore it is not documented or supported." so it's not necessarily
likely to work between releases or updates.

> * some of the JAI tests fail, but I haven't had the time to really look
>   into them, yet. JAI is not an area I felt confident in jumping in.

JAI is not part of JDK 9 (or any other JDK release). It doesn't seem
that it has seen much development in the past 10 or so years, judging by
https://java.net/projects/jai-core/sources/svn/show , fwiw.

> * Something has changed WRT date time parsing. Many of the <touch>
>   invocations we use inside our tests fail (on my German locale system,
>   in case this matters).
>
>   We use
>
>   DateFormat.getDateTimeInstance(DateFormat.SHORT, DateFormat.SHORT, Locale.US)
>
>   and receive
>
>   ,----
>   | java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "06/24/2003 2:20 pm"
>   | at java.text.DateFormat.parse(java.base@9-ea/DateFormat.java:366)
>   `----
>
>   The same string is parsed without any problems on Java8 and earlier.

Does setting java.locale.providers as outlined at
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Adoption/JDK+9+Outreach#JDK9Outreach-UseCLDRLocaleDatabyDefault

help?

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment