ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Multi-Release JAR file patch as applied to build 108 of Java 9 breaks almost every project out there (Apache Ant, Gradle, partly Apache Maven)
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 10:40:48 GMT
Hi Andre,

> On 6 Mar 2016, at 00:15, André-John Mas <andrejohn.mas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Given the issues we are seeing, and I suspect this is not the only code with these assumptions,
is there any way this functionality can be limited to "multi-release aware" code, either via
a constructor parameter or a new method? What is the most elegant approach?

For resource URLs, associated with an MR-JAR, and obtained from a class loader, here are three
possible routes we could take:

1) Modify the resources URLs, cognisent of the known issues processing such URLs;
2) Resources URLs are reified; or
3) Resources URLs are not modified (meaning they are not runtime versioned).

By 2) i mean that:

  URL u = loader.getResource(“foo/Bar.class”)

may return u that is say:

  “jar:file:/….!/META-INF/versions/9/foo/Bar.class”

rather than:

  “jar:file:/….!/foo/Bar.class”

But we need to work through the implications of that approach.

Paul.