ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: migration to git and web site publication
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:15:51 GMT

Hello Dominique,

On Apr 29, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Antoine Levy Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:
>> git is not the tool of choice to deal with large files such as the ones on dist.apache.org.
>> That might be part of the reason why infra supports only svn for the web site.
>
> Just for info, what makes you say that? Why would git be worse than
> SVN for large files?
>
> Is that because all clones must "copy" all versions (compressed deltas
> I guess) of those large files? —D

Below see some references found in google, the first one says that each version of a large
file is stored
(or maybe each version with a different md5).

So cloning a plain vanilla git repository containing several versions of a large file would
fill up one’s disk.

That makes me think that the Ant git module will be a bit fat already from all the versions
of xercesImpl and of jUnit that we have checked in over the years.

The stack overflow article mentions add-ons to git to manage large files.

Antoine

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/09/05/git-off-my-lawn-large-and-unmergable-assets/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/540535/managing-large-binary-files-with-git
https://help.github.com/articles/working-with-large-files