ant-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Duffy <char...@dyfis.net>
Subject Re: Cleanup callbacks in IvyContext?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2014 18:43:22 GMT
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org
> wrote:

> Yep, a quite hard problem to resolve. At the ant task level I don't know
> how you could nail it without asking the end user to call some ivy:lock
> task.

I'd like to argue that for ant tasks, a default behavior of releasing locks
only on process shutdown should be adequate -- ant invocations not being
long-lived by nature.

IDE plugins alter this a bit... but then, is it really safe to delete
caches while a running IDE expects them to persist?

> I myself don't have much experience with file based lock mechanism between
> different process. For instance what happens if a process holding a lock is
> killed -9, or whatever which make the jvm not even able to trigger its
> shutdown hooks ?

I would only propose to support this with NIO locks in use. These are
implicitly released on file descriptor release, even when this is caused by
SIGKILL, power termination, etc.