ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7.0 ?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:17:31 GMT
Just one more thing :>

As an experiment we added a "define" element to <macrodef>
it has the following comment:
    /**

     * A nested define element for the MacroDef task.

     *

     * It provides an attribute with a guaranteed unique value

     * on every instantiation of the macro. This allows to use

     * this uniquely named attribute in property names used

     * internally by the macro, thus creating unique property

     * names and side-stepping Ant's property immutability rules.

     * <p>

     * Of course, this work around as the side effect of littering

     * the global Ant property namespace, so is far for ideal, but

     * will have to make do awaiting a better fix...

     *

     * @since ant 1.7
    */

This works like
 <macrodef>

   <define name="x"/>
  <sequential>
     <property name="@{x}" value="this is a property"/>
     <echo>the x property is ${@{x}}</echo>
  </sequential>
</macro>

The idea was to allow something similar to local properties.

I am not sure that that this is a good idea, and I think
that it should be pulled.

Peter