ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: suggestion : Ant 1.8 full dist to include a 'scripting lang'
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:38:02 GMT
> > > Talking about flamebait, I'll toss this out there:
> >  we
> > > could create our own scripting language... with
> > > domain-specific slants if/where applicable... this
> > > would extricate us from any distribution issues,
> > and,
> > > dare I say it, could be fun if we could find ways
> > > make a DSL that is Ant-focused.  ;)

build files are a dsl for Java as Java has no way of extending the language see:

http://defmacro.org/ramblings/lisp.html for the most coherent writing
I've seen on this.

Given that (I anyway) agree with the above, writing our own scripting
language would still be:

a - a lot of fun (+1)
b - probably pointless (-1)
c - unnecessary if we extend ant in other ways (see below) (-0)

> > With macrodef and presetdef ant is almost a
> > scripting language already, no?

not quite but it's getting there - the fact that someone wrote a game
in a build file suggests that it's 90% there!

> Surely.  I think we should reconsider global if/unless
> as well.  This would improve the usability of
> macrodef, for instance.

+2 (can I do that?) - for 1.8 I think this is a *must* have feature

> -Matt
>

> > We could certainly improve script integration with
> > more than today;
> > don't know about reworking mainstream distributions.
> > As for Java6, thats
> > a long way from being mainstream. In the
> > 'enterprise', its java ee 5
> > that's forcing the java5 upgrade, which people feel
> > about ready for (not
> > my claim, but from JBoss people)

I've just started my first Java5 project (ie before this week I've not
really had to look at the new for loops, <Generics/Template>, or
autoboxing etc).  To be honest it doesn't feel like Java anymore, it
certainly looks a lot more like C# (but then I suppose that was the
intention)

Kev