ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Location in non-Task tasks
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:34:47 GMT
--- Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:

> extend
> > >
> > > It doesn't "have to", does it? All it needs is
> an add(Condition)
> > > method, no?
> >
> > No.  Most of the "old" conditions are not
> <typedef>ed and so don't
> > have a "name" of their own, you can't add them to
> a task that only has
> > add(Condition).
>
> What is preventing us from declaring them? OK,
> typedef'ing them would
> probably create some havoc and name conflict.
>
> Now that we have add(Type) introspection (what I
> also call extension
> points), we should *really* get away from being
> forced to derive from
> ConditionBase or similar base classes. I see two
> ways to allow this:
>
> 1) Have an Ant-conditions antlib, and force users of
> AntUnit to
> explicit load it, with or without using an XML
> namespace. I'd be fine
> with this myself.

Steve introduced said antlib in the 1.7 codebase.

> 2) Introduce a <tagdef> or <roledef> for the purpose
> of locating
> extension points as nested elements. They differ
> from <typedef>s in
> that they don't allow to declare these 'tags' at the
> top-level, but
> only as nested-elements of another type or task.

This is interesting but quite possibly too complicated
to make 1.7 .  In any event, there are similarities
here with my recent change to ConditionBase to
implement DynamicElement and look up unknown elements
in the aforementioned antlib.  We actually need to
finish that conversation on-list before 1.7 final as
well; I'll ping that thread.  :)

-Matt