ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: antunit integration
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:28:03 GMT
--- Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:

> > <au:antunit
> xmlns:au="antlib:org.apache.ant.antunit">
> > <fileset dir="${au.tests.dir}"
> >           includes="**/*.xml"
> >           excludes="**/*-support.xml" />
> > <...listener... />
> > </au:antunit>
> >
> > I excluded *-support.xml because I thought there
> might
> > be a need for support xml files (hopefully that
> was
> > obvious), and I selected a straightforward
> convention.
> > What modifications to this strategy do others
> > advocate?
>
> I've always used **/test/*Test.class for JUnit tests
> (because sources
> and tests were in the same tree), but I like having
> the "test" suffix
> to positively indicate a test, more than grabbing
> all .xml files, and
> excluding some.
>
> So I'm more in favor of includes="**/*-test.xml" if
> we go with the
> task-test.xml convention rather than TaskTest.xml
> one.

I can certainly see that this is reasonable and would
be fine if this convention were chosen.  As you
circumspectly indicate, *-test.xml is no more
cumbersome than *Test.java (the mandatory suffix just
seems superfluous to me personally, hence my proposed
includes/excludes scheme).

> But I'm more worried about the bootstrapping issue,
> once AntUnit is
> used in Ant itself (which I'm +1 on). Surely AntUnit
> is dependent on
> Ant, and it's in a different hierarchy, so how *can*
> Ant use it and
> bootstrap cleanly from sources? JUnit is an external
> dependency, but
> one that's independent of Ant. --DD

This chicken-and-egg issue was discussed before; I am
unfortunately too lazy to go find it in the archives,
but the answer was that Ant does not bootstrap antunit
to run its own tests; rather a built antunit is used
with Ant in pretty much the same way junit is.  IOW,
just drop an antunit jar into ant/lib and away we go.
Acceptable?

-Matt