ant-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelin...@epo.org>
Subject Re: using multiple properties in the 'if' and 'unless' conditions
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:44:26 GMT
> Which one would you prefer?  Or should we invent a new one?

Use an existing one of course. There could also be more than one,
just supported by a "language" attribute.

> We do have the "clumsy" XML expression language that we built into the
> condition task and it follows the rest of Ant's "language".

I do not see  your point why an embedded expression language would
not follow Ant's language terms. Perhaps you can elaborate on this
bit further.

> And regardless which existing language we'd chose, we'd always find
> users who'd find it hard to use - not all Ant users are Java
> developers and are able to read "a && b".

Users who do not understand feature are not obligied to use them and
I still  believe that users quickly get the idea what "a && b" could
mean. After all, you also need a lot of imagniation to understand
what you can do with Ant, right?

The  only  problem with "&"  is that it is an "XML" character as
well.

Wolfgang.

Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
25-06-2006 11:42
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>

dev@ant.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: using multiple properties in the 'if' and 'unless' conditions

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelinger@epo.org> wrote:

> What would so bad introducing an "expression language"?

Which one would you prefer?  Or should we invent a new one?

We do have the "clumsy" XML expression language that we built into the
condition task and it follows the rest of Ant's "language".
Introducing a different language would mean implementing a different
interpreter for it, documenting it an all that.  And regardless which
existing language we'd chose, we'd always find users who'd find it
hard to use - not all Ant users are Java developers and are able to
read "a && b".

Stefan