ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: property expansion in XmlFragment
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:13:44 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>echoXML does property expansion,
>

> Could you please introduce a flag in XMLFragement to make this
> optional?

Could do, but see my comments below:

> The .NET tasks use XMLFragement for embedded build files and I do not
> want Ant to try to expand NAnt properties I've added to that embedded
> fragment.
>
> <property name="foo" value="bar"/>
> <nant>
>   <build>
>     <property name="foo" value="baz"/>
>     <echo>${foo}</echo>
>   </build>
> </nant>
>
> should give NAnt a chance to echo baz.
>
> Stefan

Ahh, now that is going to be dangerously confusing. What if you want to
get an ant property in there. Especially when you consisder that
attributes do get expanded

  <nant>
    <build>
      <property name="foo" value="baz"/>
      <echo message="${foo}" />
    </build>
  </nant>

I think you'd be better off $$ escaping the property  everywhere you
want to refer to the NAnt type, just for consistency.