ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tar and resource collections
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:28:52 GMT
[SNIP]
> This lead me to the commented out changes in Ant's
> build.xml:
>
>     <tar longfile="gnu"

destfile="${dist.base.binaries}/${dist.name}-bin.tar">
>       <zipfileset
> src="${dist.base.binaries}/${dist.name}-bin.zip"/>
>     </tar>
>
> would allow us to read the permissions from the zip
> file instead of
> duplicating the patterns.
>
> Just, it is slow, really really slow.  Replacing
> both tar tasks made
> "ant distribution" go from 2:45 to 6:39 on my 2GHz
> Pentium M WinXP
> (yes, my work machine) notebook.
>
> The reason for this is that with the <zipfileset>
> approach, the zip
> archive gets opened and read once for scanning and
> then once per
> resource that is added to the tar archive.  I don't
> see any easy way
> around that, though.

Hmm... seems like it would take some work (maybe a lot
of stream magic), but would still be doable to try to
augment ZipResource to be able to accept a ZipFile
instance... ZipFile gets an isOpen() method...
ZipScanner passes down its ZipFile and defers close()
to some hook... gets crazy, but it might be possible
Rube Goldberg style...

-Matt