ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalbe...@cellectivity.com>
Subject RE: typedef onerror default
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:44:19 GMT
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
> > Why is the onerror default of typedef "fail" and not "failall"?
> >
> > The effect is that a typedef like this
> >     <typedef resource="checkstyletask.properties"
> >              uri="antlib:com.puppycrawl.checkstyle"
> >      />
> >
> > will warn but not fail if the property file is missing. Surely a
> > missing declaration file is important enough that the
> default should
> > be "fail the build right now".
> >
> > proposal
> >  -we change the "new for ant1.7" default to failall
> >  -we allow for a failuremessage attr that lets you say "add
> checkstyle
> > to your build via -lib" or whatever.

This is not necessarily an error. As in some of my buildfiles, the same
build may create a library with utility tasks which are typedef'd
and use those tasks to do other things.

In such an environment, you do not want the code to fail on the typedef
but only when you try to use something that is not defined.

So a warning is appropriate, and I do not see any reason to change it.

Jose Alberto