ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FileUtils.close()
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:41:43 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:
> Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
>
>> Maybe just ioex.printStackTrace()?
>

> I thought it would be better to log to the specific calling task
> (although getting the error message from the exception makes perfect
> sense).  I seem to recall a complaint about close silent behaviour with
> a full filesystem and it taking a *long* time to track down the cause of
> the strange failure, that's the motivation behind the suggestion.

the risk with printing to stdout/stderr is that you have to be 100% sure
they are not the output channels we are working with. I think in this
case it is mostly likely (given that the stream is being closed), but we
do need to be careful.

otherwise, +1 to printing out a message, as diagnostics are always useful.