ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introducing AntUnit
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:19:51 GMT
Sorry for the delay, "real life" has drawn me away for a while.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Wascally Wabbit <wascallywabbit@earthling.net>
wrote:
> At 10:31 AM 4/14/2005, you wrote:
>>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Wascally Wabbit <wascallywabbit@earthling.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>> > I have already created such a beast using Ant; the project is
>> > waiting to to be cleaned up before being posted on Sourceforge
>> > (at antunit).
>>
>>Let me see it! 8-)
>
> The implementation is a bit out-of-date now, but you can have
> it+javadocs+ramblings I wrote to myself on said topic. See
> started testcase docs attached.

The attachments that made it to the list were two build files and one
Java source.  The Java source pretty much looks like the "empty" Java
sources we get by extending BuildFileTest in Ant.

This can be written today and the the asserts I've added will make
that easier, if only because they provide a standard library of
macrodefs.  My idea of an <antunit> task goes beyond that - I want to
get rid of the Java file completely and run the tests in Ant
exclusively.

Do you have something you could share here?

>> > Assertions are handled by the AntXtras/rules tasks.

That I probably need to look into.

>>Does it do anything more fancy than our current macrodef around fail
>>(or the stripped down <fail> I called <assertTrue>)?
>
> I'm not sure which macrodef you're referring to here

basically

<macrodef name="assertTrue">
  <element name="conditions" implicit="true"/>
  <sequential>
    <fail>
      <condition>
        <not>
          <conditions/>
        </not>
      </condition>
    </fail>
  </sequential>
</macrodef>

which is a generalization of what we already use in Ant's own
testsuite.

> but it turned on that the AntX assertions worked so well the AntUnit
> stuff concentrates on test management stuff and has no assertions at
> all.

Could you expand on that?  How do you manage the tests?  What do you
provide beyond BuildFileTest?

Cheers

        Stefan