ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mac OS X JarBundler task
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:12:11 GMT
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, <sethm@loomcom.com> wrote:

> I'd like to get it added to the "External Tools and Tasks" page if
> possible.

Sure, I'll do so later today.

> I am also curious, what license is generally preferred for ant
> tasks?

It is up to you, whatever fits your needs best.

> I would be happy to change to an Apache license for future releases
> if this is more the "norm".

You really may want to look into the effects of each license more
closely if you'd be happy to change them 8-)

A while ago the NAnt team considered switching from GPL.  They dropped
the issue (unfortunately, IMHO), but this here
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6241153> is a
message where I compared the different licenses available (note that
the Apache License I talked about was the 1.1 license, not the new 2.0
version).

To me the main decision has to be what you want to enable your users
to do.  Are you comfortable with users that close source your work and
redistribute it?  If the answer is yes, the GPL is certainly wrong for
you - if it is no, the ASF license is wrong.

Stefan