ant-dev mailing list archives

From Wascally Wabbit <wascallywab...@earthling.net>
Subject Re: <macrodef> and local
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:26:21 GMT
Why would BreakException subclass from BuildException? It's a
(heavy) flow control mechanism and has nothing to do with error
indication. Just like using try/catch for flow control is not
a good idea, <break> should not piggy back on the build exception
mechanism...

Also as a developer responsible for lots of task container code,
I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to add this hook into
every single task...

My 2cents.

At 01:09 PM 6/23/2004, you wrote:
>From:       Peter Reilly <peter.reilly () corvil ! com>
>Date:       2004-06-23 16:23:48
>
> > are some cases where true local properties would be more easily
>
>like...?
>
> > The <break> task is interesting. I am concerned however about
> > how third party task containers would work with it.
>
>If the third-party container would like to support the break task,
>they would need to catch BreakException and handle it in the place
>where they iterate over their nested tasks and execute them.
>BreakException extends from BuildException.  It gets thrown by
>the <break> task if it decides that the condition to break is met.
>
>Inside Ant, we'd need to modify Target, Sequential, and Parallel
>at obvious places to support <break>
>
> > Peter
>
>Cheers,
>Magesh