ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jack J. Woehr" <...@purematrix.com>
Subject Re: <macrodef> and local
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:59:49 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> The way I see it, a macrodef <let> will also solve the issue
> of concurrency. Notice that in all this cases the issue is
> how do you refer to the value just generated. Lets assume you
> have the macro I defined before:
>
> <macrodef name="example">
>   <attribute name="foo"/>
>   <let name="basefoo"/>
>   <sequential>
>     <basename property="@{basefoo}" file="@{foo}"/>
>     <echo massage="${@{basefoo}}"/>
>   </sequential>
> </macrodef>

Of course what this is really all about is the design decision for rigid declarative syntax
in which there is no such thing as a function which returns a string into a scalar. In effect,
you with your local properties and I with my recursive parsing are struggling to retrofit
functional programming into Ant without spooking the ideologues :-)

--
Jack J. Woehr      # We have gone from the horse and buggy
Senior Consultant  # to the moon rocket in one lifetime, but