ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: use of canonical in <import>
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:33:02 GMT
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Peter Reilly <peter.reilly@corvil.com> wrote:

> Basicly the issue is whether to canonicalize the imported file name
> or to use the absolute path.
>
> Jesse makes a good point for using the absolute path. The problem
> is that this is a incompatible change.

Yep, he found similar problems in 1.3 (that's what he's talking about
in the paragraph starting with "Historically") and at that time we
(not just me, I just committed the change) decided to break backwards
compatibility and state it in WHATSNEW.

The main reason was, and I think it applies now as well, is that you
usually can get whatever you gain via canonicalization in a different
way (the different symlinking strategy he points you to) but there is
no stable workaround against canonicalization.

+1 for breaking bwc.

Stefan