ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gen...@acm.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs ExecTa sk.java Execute.java
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:04:58 GMT
Take UNIX-like shell variables, soft-links, mount-points and a few other
things, munge them into a hierarchical structure and you'll have an
approximation of a VMS Logical Name.

Basically, if the OS (or system call) gets a path that doesn't correspond
to a physical device name, directory and file, it does a "logical name
translation" on the path, recursively, until it resolves to a mounted
device, directory, and file.

There are, of course, a multitude of other uses for logical names, but that
is probably the primary one of interest to ant.

         Ken